Detroit Conference responding to Dexter tornado damage
UPDATE (March 20): Eric Miller, the conference's disaster response coordinator, is looking for names of certified chainsaw operators willing to volunteer in the recovery effort. Click here for details.
UPDATE (4:30 p.m., March 17): In consultation with on-site personnel, led by Jeremy Wick, the disaster response coordinator for the West Michigan Conference, and Michigan Area Bishop Jonathan D. Keaton, the Detroit Conference has applied for and received an emergency...
Bishop's Day 2012 to focus on improving health globally
"Improve Health Globally" is the theme of the 2012 Bishop's Day, which is set to take place in each district of the Detroit Conference during the month of March. The theme is tied to one of the Four Areas of Focus of The United Methodist Church, "stamping out killer diseases of poverty by improving health globally." Each of the conference's six districts has planned at Bishop's Day event that focuses on global health in a variety of ways, from providing fresh water...
Local churches assigned lay members for 2012 annual conference session
The Rev. Tracy N. Huffman, secretary of the Detroit Conference, recently announced the lay membership from local churches that will make up a portion of the body of the 2012 annual conference session. A total of 457 lay members were assigned to the conference's 441 churches.
Lay members representing local churches will make up 63 percent of the total lay membership at the 2012 session. The remaining 37 percent of lay members will be determined through positions outlined...
Mandatory sexual ethics training for clergy to be held week of March 19
The office of Michigan Area Bishop Jonathan D. Keaton announced today that there will be required sexual ethics training for all clergy in the Michigan Area. This training will be conducted during the week of March 19, 2012.
According to the Bishop's Office attendance is mandatory for all clergy – Elders, Deacons, Local Pastors and Retired Clergy - in order to be in good standing for appointment (see Resolution 2044.7 in the 2008 Book of Resolutions). Retired clergy who...
Missionaries Ut To and Karen Vo-To Visiting Detroit Conference
The Revs. Ut To and Karen Vo-To, missionaries with the General Board of Global Ministries, will be visiting the Detroit Conference from May 19-22 and June 2-5 to make presentations on their ministry in Vietnam The Tos are two of the 20 missionaries that are in a covenant relationship with the Detroit Conference.
Ut To is a country director and mission superintendent, where he trains Christian leaders in developing new congregations and nurturing Christians. He...
Conference Leadership Team Announces District Names
The Conference Leadership Team has announced the names of the six districts of the Detroit Conference that will take effect on July 1, 2011. The re-naming of districts is necessary due to the elimination of a district as a result of action taken by the 2010 annual conference session.
As part of the new district boundaries, determined by Michigan Area Bishop Jonathan D. Keaton, the current Detroit East and Detroit West Districts were combined into a new district that...
Leadership Team Outlines District Renaming Process
Fulfilling legislation passed at the 2010 annual conference session, the Conference Leadership Team has developed a process for the renaming of the districts of the Detroit Conference, which will be reduced to six on July 1, 2011.
The resolution passed at the 2010 annual conference session states:
"Be it resolved that the number of districts comprising the Detroit Annual Conference be reduced from seven to six, effective no later than July, 1, 2011....